The 92-year-old singer had tested positive for Covid with mild symptoms and was admitted on January 8 to Breach Candy Hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU) where she was treated by Dr Pratit Samdani and his team of doctors.
Mangeshkar’s condition had improved in January and she was taken off the ventilator but her health started deteriorating on Saturday. She died on Sunday morning due to multiple organ failure.
In her vast range of songs, rendering the essence and beauty of India, generations found expression of their inner-most emotions. A Bharat Ratna, Lata-ji’s accomplishments will remain incomparable”.
LATA MANGESHKAR’S WORK:
She did the fundraising for the hospital through concerts and cricket matches. She actively participated in the hospital’s development and expansion till 2014.
TRIBUTES FOR HER:
The end of an era”, “an artist born but once in centuries” and “a void that cannot be fulfilled”, is how prominent personalities, led by President Ram Nath Kovind and PM Narendra Modi, mourned the passing away of singing icon Lata Mangeshkar on Sunday.
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu also tweeted his condolences, saying that he is “extremely saddened” by Mangeshkar’s death. “India has lost its voice in the death of Lata ji, who has enthralled music lovers in India & across the globe with her mellifluous & sublime voice for many decades,” he added.
The mortal remains of singing legend Lata Mangeshkar, draped in the national flag, were taken in a truck from her residence in south Mumbai to Shivaji Park in Dadar for the last rite
Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu said, “the country has lost a legendary playback singer, a compassionate human being, a towering personality in the world of Indian music and film industry.”
Australia To Reopen Borders To Tourists On Feb 21 After Almost 2 Years
Australia will reopen its borders to fully vaccinated tourists from February 21, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced Monday, ending some of the world’s strictest and longest-running pandemic travel restrictions.
“It’s almost two years since we took the decision to close the borders to Australia,” Morrison said after a meeting of the national security cabinet.
“Double vacinated citizens are welcomed to Australia”
Australia’s borders slammed shut in March 2020 to protect the island continent against a surging pandemic.
KVIC cancels license of oldest Khadi Institution “Khadi Emporium”
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has cancelled the “Khadi Certification” of its oldest Khadi Institution named Mumbai Khadi & Village Industries Association.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has cancelled the “Khadi Certification” of its oldest Khadi Institution named Mumbai Khadi & Village Industries Association (MKVIA). This MKVIA was running the popular “Khadi Emporium” at Metropolitan Insurance House, Mumbai since 1954. KVIC has cancelled the license of MKVIA as the latter had started selling fake Khadi products, which was against the “zero-tolerance” policy of KVIC against the sale of spurious/non-Khadi products.
Reasons for taking such step:
- The action came after KVIC found that the said Khadi Emporium at D.N. Road was selling non-Khadi products in the guise of genuine Khadi.The samples collected during a routine checkup by KVIC were non-Khadi products.
- KVIC issued a legal notice to MKVIA for flouting the norms of the “Khadi Certificate” and “Khadi Mark Certificate” issued by the Commission. Khadi Emporium ceases to be a genuine Khadi Outlet and is no longer permitted to sell Khadi products from the Emporium and cancels the registration.
- KVIC is also contemplating legal action against the MKVIA for criminal breach of trust and cheating the public at large by misusing the credibility and popularity of brand Khadi.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- KVIC Founded: 1956;
- KVIC Headquarters: Mumbai;
- KVIC Chairperson: Vinai Kumar Saxena;
- KVIC Parent agency: Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.