1. What is the fish production target of India by 2024-25 as per the Fisheries ministry (in Lakh Metric Tons)?
2. Name the plan which was part of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY), to modernize the fisheries sector.
1) Mitra Sagar
2) Swath Sagar
3) Suman Sagar
4) Sea Environment
5) Swachh Sagar
3. Which organisation under power ministry has signed an agreement with Narmada Basin Projects Company limited of Government of Madhya Pradesh to fund Rs. 22,000 crores for hydropower projects?
1) Power Finance Corporation (PFC)
2) Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
3) Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA)
4) NBCC (India) Limited
5) National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC)
4. Which state has organised Webinar on “Van Dhan Yojana: Learning for Post Covid-19” in association with Department of Science and Technology & TRIFED?
4) Madhya Pradesh
5. Find the payments bank which has partnered with Mastercard to develop a special type of payment solutions such as contact less payments (NFC technology) for farmers, SMEs.
1) Airtel Payments Bank
2) India Post Payments Bank
3) Paytm Payments Bank
4) Fino Payments Bank
5) Jio Payments Bank
6. How many MoUs were signed by Tamil Nadu government to attract investment worth ₹15,128 crore in May 2020?
7. The Mango department of which Indian state signed MoU with Flipkart to support mango farmers?
1) West Bengal
2) Uttar Pradesh
8. Tsai Ing-wen has been re-elected as the president of which country for the 2nd term in May 2020?
2) Hong Kong
9. What is the rank of India among the largest fish exporting nation in the world?
10. Which company has acquired Amsterdam based Etergo BV to launch 2-wheeler Electric Vehicles?
1) Maruti Suzuki
3) Hyundai Kona Electric
4) Tata Nexon EV
5) Ola Electric
11. The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has approved to sell 50% stake in Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) to which state government?
1) West Bengal
2) Uttar Pradesh
12. Name the FMCG company which enters into Share Purchase Agreement to acquire 100% of the equity share capital of Sunrise Foods.
1) Hindustan Unilever Limited
2) ITC Limited
4) Parle Agro
5) Britannia Industries
13. Which company has collaborated with Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) in Jammu to develop RT-LAMP based test for COVID-19?
1) ITC Limited
2) Tata Group
3) Reliance Industries Limited
4) Larsen & Toubro Limited
5) None of these
14. Which IIT has developed a magnesium alloy to replace the steel and aluminium in the automobile industry?
1) IIT Gandhinagar
2) IIT Kanpur
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Madras
5) IIT Calcutta
15. Who has released the new online Children’s book titled ‘The Ickabog’ recently?
1) JK Rowling
3) Enid Blyton
4) Jeff Kinney
16. Padma Shri awardee Mujtaba Hussain, who passed away recently is the renowned author in which language?
17. R. Shanmugam who is in news recently is associated with which sport?
18. Stanley Ho, one of the richest men of Asia passed away recently. He was popularly known as the _____ kingpin.
1. Answer-4) 220
Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Giriraj Singh detailed the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) during a press conference. PMMSY was announced as a part of the Rs 20 Lakh crore economic stimulus package in response to COVID-19 and received the Union Cabinet approval on May 20, 2020. It will be implemented for a period of 5 years (FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25) in all states and UTs.TheObjective of scheme: To enhance fish production to 220 lakh metric tons by 2024-25 from 137.58 lakh metric tons in 2018-19 at an average annual growth rate of about 9%. It also aims to double incomes of fishers and export earnings by 2024-25.
2. Answer-2) Swath Sagar
As a part of PMMSY, there will be ‘Swath Sagar’ plan, which is envisaged with modernizing of the fisheries sector including promotion of Bio-toilets, Insurance coverage for fishing vessels, Fisheries Management Plans, E-Trading/Marketing, Fishers and resources survey and creation of National IT-based databases. -Also, Government will register “Sagar Mitra” and encourage formation of Fish Farmers Producer Organizations (FFPOs) to help achieve the PMMSY goals by enhancing domestic fish consumption with corresponding health benefits.
3. Answer-1) Power Finance Corporation (PFC)
The Power Finance Corporation (PFC), under the Ministry of Power signed an agreement to fund Rs. 22,000 crores with Narmada Basin Projects Company limited (NBPCL) of Government of Madhya Pradesh for the 225 MW hydro-electric projects and multipurpose projects in the state. The MoU was signed by Rajeev Sharma, CMD, PFC and I.C.P Keshari, MD NBPCL on a virtual platform.
4. Answer-2) Rajasthan
The Department of Science and Technology(DST), Government of Rajasthan in association with The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India(TRIFED), under Ministry of Tribal Affairs & Ministry of(M/O) Tribal Affairs, Government of India has organized a webinar under Know Your Scheme-Lecture Series on “Van Dhan Yojana : Learning For Post Covid-19” to help the tribal people.
5. Answer-1) Airtel Payments Bank
Airtel Payments Bank Limited (APBL) has joined hands with Mastercard to develop a special type of payment solutions such as contact less payments via NFC (Near Field Communication), credit facility and other neighbourhood banking services for Indian farmers and small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
6. Answer-1) 17
Industry and the economy are being hit by the increasing coronavirus (COVID-19) impact in Tamil Nadu (TN) & in the meantime, the state Government is taking various measures to restore the industry which has been hit by the virus. As part of this, the state government has inked 17 memorandum of understandings (MOUs) worth ₹15,128 crore with various companies based in Germany, Finland, Taiwan, China, France, South Korea, Japan, USA, Australia, England and Netherlands, with the aim to provide employment opportunities to 47,150 people.
7. Answer-5) Karnataka
The Karnataka State Mango Department and Marketing Corporation Ltd.(KSMD&MCL) and Flipkart signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to support the mango farmers in this mango season to sell their produce through the online platform of Flipkart.
8. Answer-1) Taiwan
Tsai Ing-wen (63), the current and first female President of Taiwan has been re-elected for a second four-year term of presidency. A representative of Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), she took the oath on May 20, 2020
9. Answer-2) 4
Current status of India in fisheries sector: India is the 2nd largest aquaculture and 4th largest fish exporting nation in the world.
10. Answer-5) Ola Electric
Ola Electric acquired the Netherlands-based Etergo BV, an innovative electric scooter company for an undisclosed sum, as the former has planned to set its own line of premium electric two-wheelers, both globally and nationally. Ola electric will launch its global electric two-wheeler in India in 2021.Etergo BV has developed an all-electric state-of-the-art AppScooter, which has won multiple awards across the world for its innovative design and engineering.
11. Answer-3) Gujarat
The principal bench of National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has given its nod to sell 50% stake in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Co Ltd (GIFTCL) held by crisis hit Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services (IL&FS) to the Gujarat state government.
12. Answer-2) ITC Limited
ITC Limited entered into a Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) to acquire 100% of the equity share capital of Sunrise Foods Private Ltd(SFPL), which is primarily engaged in spices under the trademark ‘Sunrise’. The value of the deal is not disclosed but expects to be around Rs 1,800 crores to Rs 2,000 crores.
13. Answer-3) Reliance Industries Limited
The Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM) in Jammu has collaborated with Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop and increase a new Reverse Transcriptase-Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP)- based COVID-19 diagnostic kit. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has also been signed between CSIR-IIIM, Jammu and RIL.
14. Answer-4) IIT Madras
The research team of Dr. Sushanta Kumar Panigrahi, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, Professor Rajiv Mishra, University of North Texas and K.Cho, the United States(US) Army Research Laboratory has engineered a magnesium alloy to replace the steel and aluminium in the automobile industry to reduce the carbon footprint and increase fuel efficiency.
15. Answer-1) JK Rowling
Harry Potter author JK Rowling released a new online Children’s book named ‘The Ickabog’ to entertain children during Coronavirus lockdown. The new story will be serialized with a couple of chapters released for free online and posted on “The Ickabog” website every weekday from May 26, 2020 to July 10, 2020 in instalments. This is the first book of author JK Rowling aimed at children since “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”.Author also wrote books for adults — ‘The Casual Vacancy’ and ‘The Cuckoo’s Calling’ (under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith).
16. Answer-5) Urdu
Famous Urdu author, humorist and satirist Mujtaba Hussain passed away at the age of 84, after a prolonged illness in Hyderabad, Telangana. Hussain was often described as the Mark Twain of Urdu. He was born on July 15, 1936, in Hyderabad, Telangana.He was often described as the Mark Twain of Urdu.
17. answer-3) Football
Former Tamil Nadu Footballer and coach R.Shanmugam passed away at the age of 77 due to age-related illness in Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN). He was born in Burma (now Myanmar) in 1943.He had obtained diplomas in football coaching from the National Institute of Sports in 1975-76 and the Brazilian Football Academy in 1995.
18. Answer-2) Casino
Stanley Ho, one of the richest men in Asia, the head of Sociedade de Jogos de Macau(SJM) holdings and famously known as the Casino kingpin of Gambling Capital Macau passed away at the age of 98 at the Kong Sanatorium and Hospital. He was born in 1921 in Hong Kong.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
1. The Hoggar Mountains national park located in which country?
2. What is the capital of Taiwan?
3. Who is the author of the book titled ‘The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer?
1) Pramila Jayapal
2) Atul Gawande
3) Kamala Harris
4) Siddhartha Mukherjee
5) Deepak Chopra
4. Where is the HQ of Airtel payments bank located?
5) New Delhi
5. The river Narmada originates at which Indian state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Uttar Pradesh
1. Answer-3) Algeria
Naturalists in Algeria have filmed a Saharan cheetah, a subspecies listed as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List, for the first time in a decade. One of the world’s most elusive wild cats, the Saharan cheetah is quite different in appearance from the other African cheetahs. Its coat is shorter and paler in colour. The animal was spotted in the Hoggar Mountains national park in Algeria.
2. Answer-2) Taipei
About Taiwan: Capital– Taipei Currency– New Taiwan dollar.
3. Answer-4) Siddhartha Mukherjee
Pulitzer Prize-winning Indian-American physician Siddhartha Mukherjee and compatriot higher education leader Satish Tripathi have been named by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo among members of a commission that will focus on plans to jumpstart the state’s economy badly hit by the COVID19 pandemic.He won the Pulitzer Prize in 2011 for ‘The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.’
4. Answer-5) New Delhi
The Headquarters of Airtel Payments Bank is in New Delhi, India.
5. Answer-1) Madhya Pradesh
Amarkantak is the place from where the Narmada river originates. It rises from the Maikal ranges at the height of 1057 meter above the sea level. Amarkantak is located in the Shahdol district of Madhya Pradesh in India. Narmada river mainly flows in the central India. The total length of the Narmada river lies approximately 1,289 kms. The river flows from the eastward direction to the westward into the Arabian sea. It merges into the ocean at the point called ‘Bharonch’. It is the largest west flowing river in India.